ECOBOARD Project – Official LAUNCH PARTY!
That’s a wrap folks. The launch party was a huge success. Read all about it and see the photos here.
Could your next surfboard help Save Your Waves?…
Should surfers care about Sustainability?…
Can surfing become the Greenest Biz Ever?
Come join us in San Francisco for our fundraising party as we explore these questions and more, with leaders from the surfing and green business worlds – and help us launch our latest answer to these questions: the ECOBOARD Project!
The event is being hosted for us by the powerhouse sustainability consultants over at Saatchi & Saatchi S, but don’t come expecting Power Point slides – expect an engaged crowd of Pros, Bros and Green Gurus mixing it up in the city’s Mission District, and having a good time as we actively look at sustainability through the lens of surfing.
Here’s what to expect at the event:
• Local Sustainable Food/Drinks & Music – Enjoy local beverages from Berkley based brewery Trumer Pils, Sonoma county’s own Hobo Wines and (non-alcoholic) Guayaki Yerba Mate, as well as sparkling cider from Fox Barrel Ciders up in the Sierra foothills. Sample complementary sustainable treats like chocolates from Alter Eco, and graze on gourmet organic Vietnamese food truck fare (while it lasts-so get there early…). If you show up late, no worries, the Little Green Cyclo truck will still be parked curbside at the event. Did we also mention a Live DJ spinning!
• Live Surfboard Glassing Demonstration – Come watch the pros from Entropy Resins and E-Tech Glassing as they transform the latest in sustainable, non-toxic, and recycled surfboard materials, into a visually stunning surfboard in front of the live crowd. If you have never seen how a surfboard is really made, you don’t want to miss this!
• “Meet-A-Shaper” Lounge – Come pick the brains of leading local surfboard craftsman from Santa Cruz’s Stretch Surfboards and SF’s own Las Olas Surfboards /Sunset Shapers, about high performance board design, greener material choices (and even the usefulness of deck channels!). Become inspired to make your next surfboard a sustainable one, and order your new ECOBOARD Project “verified” surfboard from one of our surfboard partners right there at the event!
• Silent Auction and Raffle – You’ll have a chance to win an amazing raffle package , and to bid on one-of-a-kind silent auction items during the event. Featuring hot off the press ECOBOARD Project labeled boards from top surfboard brands like LOST, FIREWIRE, Stretch, Timmy Patterson, Hobie and Pearson Arrow, surf gear from Reef, Patagonia, Rareform and others, and lots more from other local and sustainable SF bay area businesses.
• Styrofoam drive – Bring us a chunk of your unwanted EPS (ie. “styrofoam) packaging foam to be recycled through our Waste to Waves program. EPS foam collected at the event will be kept out of the landfill and will get a shot at becoming a new, recycled surf blank from Marko Foam in it’s next life!
• VIP Party – Spend an exclusive hour before the main event connecting with the movers and shakers at our VIP party. Enjoy catered sustainable food and drink options sourced from our local Bay area, get a special gift bag, and hang with some very special guests from the surfing world. Spots at the VIP event are very limited, so get those while they last!
Headlining all of this activity will be a stellar panel of top thought leaders, entrepreneurs and change makers from businesses and organizations that are leading the charge to integrate the worlds of surf biz and sustainable biz. Listen in and ask questions as these leaders discuss their own sustainability initiatives, and how all these actions ultimately connect together in the ecosystem of the surfing culture. With Saatchi & Saatchi S’s own head surfer Adam Werbach moderating the panel, we expect a lively debate about the role that surfing could have as a positive, eco-friendly lifestyle choice, and it’s unique opportunity to make sustainability “cool” within the broader pop culture.
It’s going to be a great night so buy your tickets early, because space is limited we expect this event to sell out!
Please see the complete details below:
ECOBOARD Project LAUNCH PARTY
A Fundraiser for Sustainable Surf
Thursday November 8th
501 York Street | San Francisco’s Mission District
Hosted by Saatchi & Saatchi S
Event tickets sold online via Brown Paper Tickets or at the door on the day of the event (additional $5 fee)
VIP $100 • General $40 • student/feral surfer $20
• VIP Hour – 6PM to 7PM
• General Admission – 7PM to 10PM
EXPERT PANEL DISCUSSION:
Join top executives and founders in an inspiring discussion about surfing’s sustainable future, its potential ability to inspire larger cultural changes, and the specific role the surfboard itself has as the core of the entire lifestyle sport.
Moderator: Adam Werbach – Chief Sustainability Officer of Saatchi & Saatchi, Chairman of Saatchi & Saatchi S.
Ryan Ashton – Executive Director, Quiksilver Foundation
Will Hutchinson – Co-Founder, Proof Lab Surf Shop, GROW, and SurfbreakRentals.com, recent graduate of Presidio Graduate School’s “Green” MBA program
Jim Moriarty – CEO, Surfrider Foundation
Mark Price – CEO, FIREWIRE Surfboards
Michael Stewart – Co-Founder, Sustainable Surf, Vice Chair of San Francisco chapter of Surfrider Foundation, Advisory Board Member of the Save the Waves Coalition
Todd Woody – Environmental Editor, Forbes Magazine
*Special thanks to all our Partners, Sponsors and Supporters, without their help this event would not be possible!
* 100% of your tax-deductible donation will be used to support the programs of Sustainable Surf, a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation.