Event Title: Deep Blue Discussions – Designing Sustainability Into the Fabric of Surf Culture
Date/Time: July 24th, 7-8pm
Location: The SoHo House / Little Beach House Malibu is a private club for those in the creative arts, so if you’re a member, you’ve should have already received an electronic invite from SoHo House. We have a limited number of guest invites. This event is not open to the general public.
Join environmental nonprofit organization Sustainable Surf & Friends – for a relaxed conversation & exploration about the current state of innovation, design thinking, creativity and ocean conservation within modern surfing culture.
Sustainable Surf founder Michael Stewart will kick off the evening with an overview of our “Deep Blue Life” program, designed to inspire and enable a shift in individuals to a more ocean-friendly lifestyle. We will then moderate a roundtable discussion with a select crew of some of our favorite collaborators, to discuss how their creative pursuits and entrepreneurial businesses – are reinventing “surf culture” as a force for good.
1. Marcos Mafia – founder / Mafia Bags ( https://mafiabags.com ) One-of-a-kind bags and backpacks made from upcycled sails in San Francisco, that support local communities of craftsmen and sustainable practices.
2. Julie Cox – founder / Traveler (https://travelersf.com) Traveler is an outdoor and adventure inspired retail store with a unique Surf & Swim Club, located just South of San Francisco, and just steps from the beach.
3. Brian Shields – founder / Suga Yoga Mats ( https://www.sugamats.com/) World-class yoga mats designed in San Diego, and made in the USA entirely from recycled wetsuits, with a pioneering One-Mat-for-Life option. Wetsuits. Reincarnated.
4. Donald Brink – founder / Brink Surfboards ( http://www.brinksurf.com ) Award winning Southern California-based surfboard designer and craftsman, specializing in hand-built, asymmetrical surfboards and the use of innovative and sustainable materials.
5. Kassia Meador – founder Kassia+Surf ( https://kassiasurf.com) Malibu-based, pro longboard surfer & artist, who has launched her own line of female specific wetsuits, swim suits and eco-minded apparel .