Deep Blue Event Criteria
Deep Blue Events address five key sustainability impacts: Waste, Energy, Community Support, Climate Change and Transportation.The Deep Blue Event™ program is a tool to help event managers increase the sustainability performance of their event. To obtain this designation, an event must:
- Commit to the Deep Blue Event program as the path for reducing event impacts, and develop a comprehensive sustainability strategy for the event,
- Achieve the recommended minimum goals for at least three of the five categories of environmental impacts, while reporting against ALL criteria.
Operational, environmental and community impacts are addressed through the five categories:
- Implement a comprehensive waste diversion strategy to reduce, reuse, recycle, or compost event waste and building materials.
- Minimum Goal: 25% or more waste diversion from landfill by weight and a commitment to make the event “plastic straw free” (Sustainable Surf is a partner of Strawless Ocean)
- Source a portion of event power from clean, renewable (non-fossil fuel) sources such as biodiesel, solar or other alternative energy sources.
- Minimum Goal: 25% of total event power from renewable energy.
- Showcase the efforts of local environmental and social organizations, and include them as stakeholders for possible legacy efforts post-event.
- Minimum Goal: Provide financial and/or outreach support for at least three NGOs and charities working on local issues relevant to the event.
- Calculate the total CO2 footprint of event, and mitigate this impact by purchasing certified/verified carbon offset credits through a reputable provider.
- Minimum Goal: 50% of total event CO2 footprint offset or mitigated.
- Use cleaner/lower carbon fuel vehicles for internal operations, and support the use of public transportation and human powered modes – walk, skate and bike – for event attendees (where applicable).
- Minimum Goal: Provide and promote alternative transportation options for staff, athletes, and for spectators where applicable.
Working With Sustainable Surf on Your Next Event
For those brands and event producers who would like to understand how to obtain a Deep Blue Surfing Event designation, please contact us and see the basic steps below.
- Initial Consultation
- Meet with Sustainable Surf to discuss possible actions and strategies for implementing the Deep Blue Event guidelines in a way that is tailored for a specific event
- Deep Blue Event designation and strategy consulting
- Work with brand and event organizers to develop comprehensive sustainability strategy for event
- Evaluate event sustainability performance, including data collection from event organizers and quantification of results post-event
- Provide Deep Blue Surfing Event designation/logo for events as marketing asset and further press opportunities
- Attend event and assist with strategic implementation
- Publish final sustainability results on Sustainable Surf website
Deep Blue Event Self Reporting Model
This streamlined approach to a more sustainable, ocean-friendly event retains all of the elements that have always underpinned a Deep Blue Event designation. The difference is that all data capture and reporting requirements are now the responsibility of the event organisers. Sustainable Surf’s role will be focused on delivering guidance pre-event, and reviewing / approving the report as an independent third-party expert. Our upfront support and guidance, as well as a detailed review of the data and final report, ensures that the process retains the integrity people have come to expect from a Deep Blue Event.
This ‘self-reporting model’ provides organisers of smaller events with a comprehensive framework for developing their own sustainable event plan and reporting against that plan, with oversight from Sustainable Surf. The following components are included in this model please contact us for further information:
- Deep Blue Strategy: An event strategy template that is completed by the organiser and reviewed by Sustainable Surf
- Deep Blue Data: Sustainable Surf review data collection proposal within event strategy and review submitted data against actuals reported
- Deep Blue Communications Pack: Sustainable Surf provides Deep Blue Event marketing assets and a listing for the event on the Deep Blue Event website
- Deep Blue Event Reporting: Sustainable Surf reviews final event report and posts report on the Deep Blue Events website