Deep Blue Events: Making an Impact
A Deep Blue Surfing Event™ designation sends a clear message to all spectators and sponsors: this event is serious about reducing it’s environmental impact, while leaving a positive legacy for the community. There are many local and global environmental threats to surfing, such as marine plastic pollution, the looming extinction of coral reefs from ocean acidification and ocean warming, and the “permanent high tide” from sea level rise that will swamp out most surf breaks.
Ultimately, the educational focus at the heart of the Deep Blue Surfing Event program (indeed, all of Sustainable Surf’s programs) is to inspire the viewers of these surfing events to take the same types of actions they see at the surf contest, in their own daily lives. This collective effort can, and will, result in a better world for the sport and culture of surfing.
We are proud to offer this program as way to help provide a path for WSL sanctioned events, including the World Championship Tour (WCT), to join the ranks of other major sporting leaugues like the NBA, NFL, MLB, and the NHL that are collaborating through theGreen Sports Alliance to improve the environmental performance and footprint of their operations, while demonstrating important leadership for their fans.
Working With Sustainable Surf on Your Next Surfing Event
For those surf brands and event producers who would like to understand how to obtain a Deep Blue Surfing Event designation, pleasecontact us and see the basic steps below.
- Initial Consultation
- Meet with Sustainable Surf to discuss possible actions for implementing the ASP/WSL green guidelines in a way that is geared for a specific event
- Deep Blue Surfing Event designation and strategy consulting
- Work with brand and event organizers to develop sustainability strategy for event to follow the green guidelines
- Evaluate event sustainability performance, including data collection from event organizers and quantification of results post-event
- Provide Deep Blue Surfing Event designation/logo for events as marketing asset
- Publish final sustainability results on Sustainable Surf website